There has been an increase recently in the number and frequency of automated phonecalls. Some of our staff have received these calls on their private numbers. You can tell these call from a regular call as they sound like a recorded message, are quite threatening and require immediate payment of a debt. The scammers use technology they makes their call appear to come from a Canberra number although this is not the case. The ATO provides guidance for these calls stating the ATO will never:
- issue a pre-recorded message (robocall) to your phone
- present a phone number on caller ID
- threaten immediate arrest, jail or deportation for unpaid tax debts
- demand immediate payment of a tax debt by direct credit to a personal bank account, via iTunes or Google Play cards, pre-paid Visa cards, or cryptocurrency
- refuse to allow you to speak with a trusted advisor or regular tax agent
- attempt to keep you on the line until you make a payment.
You should never share personal details such as tax file number, date of birth, credit card or bank details unless you know who you are talking to and can trust that person.
If you accidentally share personal information or make a payment to a scammer you can call us on 6588 4444 or the ATO directly on 1800 008 540.